Thursday 17 September 2009

Follow That Dream

I was at a family BBQ for my big Big Brother’s 60th birthday at the weekend and although it’s not actually his birthday until the end of the month he had his cards and pressies at the party, which is why I’m able to show you them now.

The reason the party was so early is because he’ll be away when it comes around and on his actual birthday he’ll be ‘Following His Own Dream’ and will be in Memphis visiting Graceland’s for the second time, which goes some way to explaining what’s about to follow.

Firstly he loves Country and Western music and Line Dancing, not that he dances himself mind you, so that was the theme for the first card I made for him from his even bigger Brother.


I’ve used papers from the Memory Stor Costco Kit and some Tanda Stamps. The ‘Happy’ Birthday’ is a Sizzlets die cut.

The next card I made was from Dad and the inspiration for this one came from the Duke Box that he has in his lounge.



For this one I coloured, cut and decoupaged an image that I found on the web. Decorated the rest of the card with circles cut from Basic Grey Lime Ricky paper and made the ‘0’ of the 60 look like an old 45 record. The greeting on this one was a Rub-On.

The Duke Box he has is not a ‘Bubble’ like the one on the card but it is a working Duke Box and I would say that the records that it holds are 90% Elvis, which leads me nicely on to the card I made him from me , using a fabby ‘George’ download from Charmed Cards.

The papers are again from the Memory Stor Costco Kit and the outside greeting was printed on my computer. I added the layered star and fibres to give it a bit of a lift.

As you open the card George, the Elvis impersonator pops out on a stage with a backdrop that say’s ‘Viva Las Vegas’ in chipboard letters, painted Black and glitzed up with gems.


I also stitched two pictures for him as a gift, the first of Elvis and the second one of Marilyn Monroe.
I saw the two charts in ‘Cross Stitcher’ magazine some time ago and kept them because I knew as soon as I saw them both that I would have to stitch them for him one day.
What better time than his 60th Birthday.


Happy Birthday for the 29th Michael!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Wow Sue. The cards and pictures are really lovely. How nice to know a man who has hobbies to give you subjects for special cards. Men are not always so easy to design cards for. Hope he has a really super birthday. A x

Angie said...

Brilliant cards. Mens cards are difficult and you have nailed them.
Bet those cross stitch pics were loved