Friday 6 February 2009

DCM - A Touch of Oriental Splendour

Morning everyone,
I hope the snow isn’t causing too many problems were you are and that you’re ready and rearing to craft today.

I ask this because it’s my turn to set the dare over at the Daring Cardmakers this week and I would love for you all to in.

I thought I would treat you all to a Chinese Take Away this week.

No, I’m not talking about food……I’m talking about my Oriental Splendour Dare!
I would like you to make a card with an Oriental influence and the ‘Take Away’ I referred to is the twist in the tail.
When ever Oriental is mentioned most people, including myself immediately reach for Red and Black so I’m taking them away from you and removing them from the pallet of colours that you can use on your card.

So to recap:-

I dare you to make an Oriental themed card which doesn’t use Red or Black.


I decided to have a go at another technique that I’ve not tried before………Faux Batik.

Here’s my card:-

I guess it helps if you have the right things to hand when trying out something new.
I was so keen to give this a try, only to find I didn’t have ‘the right things’ so had to improvise and my card didn’t quite turn out as I had hoped.
I’ll definitely be giving it another go though!

For those who haven’t a clue what Faux Batik is, basically what you do is stamp your image onto your card using a Versa Mark pad, sprinkle with clear embossing powder and heart emboss and then spritz the panel with various colour washes.

Now this was where I had to improvise because I don’t have any colour washes. Instead I made my own using some Blond Moments Pearl Pigments and Ranger Perfect Pearls which I mixed with water and painted them across the image.

When the paint is dry you have to turn the image over onto some kitchen paper and iron the back of it. This melts the embossing so it soaks into the paper, leaving the plain card showing through underneath.
Next I layered the panel onto some patterned paper which I had embossed with a Gold Bamboo design along two sides, offsetting it to the top Right hand corner.
The next layer was Cream card which I Gold embossed with Cherry Blossom and coloured with a metallic Gel Pen and Prisma Colour Pencils and then this is turn was layered onto another panel of patterned paper, giving me a topper made up four layers.

I then covered my card blank with patterned paper and added a wrap of ribbon before attaching the topper and adding some brads and clips.

Card – Craft Creations
Patterned Papers – DCWV (The Old World Stack & The Far East Stack)
Inks – VersaMark (Clear) Ranger Distress Ink (Peeled Paint)
Pigments – Blond Moments Pearl Pigments (Festive Gold Luster) Ranger Pearl Pigments (Forever Red)
Rubber Stamps – Rubberdubbado, Stick-n-Stamp (Geisha) Personal Impressions (Cherry Blossom)
Pencils – Prisma Color Pencils
Embossing Powder – Fun Stamps (Clear) Stamp-n-Stuff (Detail Gold)

Other BitsRibbon
Brads
Clips
Metallic Gel Pen

13 comments:

Maria Matter said...

Sue, this is awesome!!!!!
I love how your card turned out...you obvious "improvise" very well! lol
Fantastic image, backgrounds and I love the touch of gold!!
Absolutely beautiful!
Blessings, Maria

Karen said...

What a brilliant technique, must have a go at that!

Just read your comment on my blog - hehehehe I can't believe that I even typed 'red' without realising!!! What a numpty!!! The ink is very orange tho XXX

Rika said...

Fantastic oriental card!

Cardmaking Galore said...

a really elegant card!

Traceyr said...

Thanks for letting us into the world of faux batik must have a go at that.

Traceyr :)

Lynda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

This is a gorgeous card!! I really love your colors on this! Very stunning results with your image!! ;) This was a very fun challenge!! Thank you!

Jo said...

Sue this is just gorgeous. A really fantastic technique and a totally stunning card :)

jo xx

Anonymous said...

Thank you! :)All the DT's cars were so professional looking and very stylish! But I really like this kind of challeges, where you can use your own imagination with putting all together and everyone can make their own looking cards.
I'm quite sure that I will attend in many more DCM's challenge in near future :)

Megan said...

Sue, I couldn't find how to thank you for the lovely comment you left on my blog, so I've put it here!

Lisa Fulmer said...

love your card! I linked to this post in my blog carnival - hope you'll take a look! http://lafemmepapier.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Sue, you visited my blog and left me a lovely comment, but it was obviously meant for someone called Ellen who used tied sticks on her DCM card. I didn't use sticks on mine! LOL

Rosie

SueH said...

Opps sorry about that Rosie, that'll teach me to have more than one blog open at a time.

Hopefully I've put it right now Lol!