Friday 9 May 2008

A Bit of a Magpie

I have to own up and face the fact that I’m a bit of a hoarder when it comes to card making. I see things and think to myself, “I could use that on one of my cards” and it duly goes in a box of bit and bobs awaiting the day that I recycle it. This is especially true when it comes to embellishments on shop brought cards and before I know where I am I’m cannibalizing them.

The challenge over at Daring Cardmakers this week gave me the perfect opportunity to rummage through my box because they want us to make a card recycling an embellishment or paper from a shop brought card, gift bag or wrapping paper.

I decided to go with one of my 50th birthday cards that’s been sitting in the box for 18 months and had a lovely little present on it that was just crying out to be re-used at some point.

This is what it looked like before

and here it is now


I cut a 14.5cm square card and added some panels of Basic Grey Colour Me Silly that have been inked on the edges and then doodled with Black pen. I stamped some swirls onto the largest of the panels with Technique Tuesday's Whispy Gigs stamps and a Orange Ink It Up pad.

I have to say, this is not my usual style but I was so inspired by the card that Lythan made for her AD-dicted dare that I had to give it a go.

The birthday present is the recycled element from the 50th card and I’ve added a stamped birthday greeting using Black Staz-On and my Blonde Moments Sweet Celebrations stamps and finished it off by adding some little buttons, brads and gems for my stash.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I love this Sue! I am a bit of a canniball like you and pull cards apart, especially Christmas cards. As if I don't have enough already LOL

Kathy said...

Fantastic card Sue - I love everything you've done here. The LO, with the strips of gorgeous, cheerful BG paper and the little present all work soooo well.
I've seen those cards in a certain high street shop and must admit they do look fab....but, as a card maker, I always feel guilty just for having such thoughts. OK I'm mad, I know!

Jackie said...

I really like the colours you've used on this card Sue. If we were't all hoarders we wouldn't have challenges like this one (that's my excuse for keeping junk anyway) ;)
Sorry to hear you've been ill but glad to hear you are on the mend.